Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Introduction

My name is Kendra and I was born and raised in Denver, CO.  After high school I attended Syracuse University majoring in public relations and minoring in economics. While I was there I was lucky enough to spend a semester abroad in Madrid, Spain and traveled Europe - it was the experience of a lifetime. I graduated from SU a month ago and am now looking for a job in PR!

Why I chose the topic of health:
In high school and for the first two years of college I had always been pretty thin, in good shape and healthy. It didn't take much effort for me to maintain my weight and while I was active in sports and the gym, I didn't have to watch what I ate. In fact I one time had a huge piece of cake for breakfast and didn't think much of it since my weight never seemed to fluctuate no matter what my habits were. That all changed though.

In October 2008 I began to put on weight at a rapid speed. By mid-January 2009 I had put on 40 lbs. For a period of time I was running four miles 3x a week, but was still putting on weight. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had. Besides the weight gain I also had developed dry skin, an insatiable appetite, constant fatigue, severe anxiety and depression.

I saw five doctors who each gave me a different diagnosis - none of which were correct. It wasn't until exactly one year later in October 2009 that I finally saw a doctor with brains and figured out my problem. I had a serious chemical and hormonal imbalance that was causing all of my problems. I was put on medication - but meds weren't going to fix everything. I was going to have to work to lose the 50 lbs I had gained, learn to eat healthy and learn to balance my life.

I found that it takes a lot of work for me to stay healthy. I need to exercise at least five times a week, I have to eat mostly fruits and vegetables and control my desire for sweets, I have to try to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, I need to take time to myself to have some mental relaxation, but I also have to take time for friends and family. 

Balancing all of these things properly can be a real challenge at times - but keeping up with it is how I've lost 30lbs since January 2010. It has helped me to become a very happy person who feels, and knows, I can now handle anything that life throws my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment